Monday, March 7, 2011

Spring Has Sprung




This past winter tip-toed by at a pace seemingly much slower than those of winters past. At first I was restless and couldn't find an outlet for my energy. Then as the days grew to their darkest I became bored. Reading books, watching my beard grow and counting the days between sunshine. Eight was the longest sun-free streak I counted. It was all a waiting game for which I had crafted many plays. But once my new bike arrived insanity began setting in and I was no longer set to win. The past few weeks of winter had really began taking their toll on me. More than once I found myself with the whiskey bottle in my mouth and my finger on it's trigger, asking myself irrational questions. What if spring never comes?


After having touched tires to dirt a few times now, I believe I am safe in making my call. Spring has sprung and once again I can see the familiar and anxiously awaited transformations taking place. Steadily warming winds sweep through the valleys and wick away the snow and ice. The trails are thawing and coming back to life. Birds now fly overhead and sing to me the songs of their winter travels, the places they've been and the things they've seen. The world is being painted again, shaded valleys and carefully brushed hillsides with the greatest attention to detail. More and more each day I see truck boxes filled with bikes and bright shining smiles in the cab. Wheels are turning, brakes are squealing and hearts are beating.


Time is on our side and it seems we can go anywhere we want from here. I am starring down the barrel of a loaded season and in the scope I see a lot. There are a lot of roads, some I have traveled and some I have yet to drive. A lot of trails, some I have memorized from beginning to end and some that will plant me flat on my face. And a lot of challenges lie ahead, some that I will conquer and some that will snap me in half. It's Time to shift into top gear and hammer out every last pedal I can. Here's hope for a long healthy season filled with laughter and adventure. This is going to be a big one, look out.

No comments: